Renting or purchasing a suite in a lodge- or condominium-style congregate facility is always fully paid by the resident (although rent subsidies may also be available to some residents). The suites are typically private apartment-style units with full or partial kitchen facilities and any number of bedrooms. The facility may have a group dining area with meal services available (for purchase) and a range of social and recreational activities. Some programs may be covered by your accommodation (rent) fee while other services may require additional payment.

Your suite in a congregate/independent living facility is considered to be your personal residence. As such, you can arrange to have (and pay for) private home care services within your congregate home. You can also request an AHS assessment for publicly funded home care services to be delivered in your residence.

Related content

Learn more about continuing care in Alberta.